Koresupport had built an app for inspectors in the housing association industry. Previously the inspections had been processed on paper. I was hired to perform a UX evaluation as they were having trouble with the user experience of the app and wanted to improve it.
After running through different scenarios on the app and highlighting what I perceived to be problematic, I asked the stakeholders at Koresupport for a meeting so I could highlight the errors I had discovered and learn more about their ideas, vision and reasoning behind the decisions they had made.
Most importantly I wanted to learn about the ‘business goals’ and ‘user goals’. This would enable me to truly assess the functionality, information architecture and end to end journey of the app.
Business goal: to provide a digital solution to a paper based time consuming inspection process enabling the inspector to connect with a digital hub in the main office and keep inspection data up to date in real time.
User goal: the ability to conduct these inspections simply and swiftly, without having to spend hours in a paper based system.
Koresupport already had someone in the field testing the app. I requested a meeting to learn firsthand how well it functioned for him and if he had any specific requests or requirements, thoughts or problems. I wanted to know how he thought and acted. This information would enable to me to start creating User Personas and User Stories, giving me a greater understanding of the app and the hub it would be connecting to in the main office.
I researched other apps that performed inspections. I wanted to really understand the market competition, get more insight into the domain and see what other companies were creating in their apps, if anything, for inspiration.
Once I had collated all the information together I made a suggestion. Why only make an inspection app for the housing association sector? Why not just make the inspection app have the ability to inspect anything. This would only open up their market. It was agreed.
The needs of the new app and portal would be:
The early stages of design for me are an iterative process. Using simply paper and a pencil I sketched out the requirements and then talked them through with the stakeholders and real-life users to gain clarification from what came out of earlier discovery meetings.
From here I moved into wireframes and clickable prototypes so those testing are able to get a really good idea of the journey and give me as much feedback as possible.
Having a history in front end web development I always feel it is beneficial to spend time with the development teams building the project as I get to understand what their approach is and how they may prefer to receive the designs they will be implementing. For this project everything was to be provided in photoshop documents in specific sizes for the software being used for the app.
Guiding principles for the design was Koresupport’s colour palette of black, red and white. It was imperative that they be used within the final designs along with the font used in their logo for brand recognition.
I put together design ideas based on the wireframe prototypes that had been signed off and then handed over to the development to complete the project.